Monday, September 13, 2010

Butterfly Moments

My desire to adopt began when I was in my early teens. My mother like so many mothers in China found herself in some very difficult times with impossible decisions to make. I spent some time in an institutional orphanage separated from my sisters and family. I was very young, so young that everyone said it was not possible that I actually remembered my time there. I do remember. It was painful, lonely and confusing. I remember no joy filled days playing in the yard or enjoying cheerios. Just one gray day after the other. My story ended with my birth mother returning for me and my sisters and we were reunited. Difficult times followed but I had a family again.

God has been preparing me my whole life for this moment. He has directed me to counselors, doctors, believers and experiences educating me to love and nurture this child. I believe that He has been working with her as well and that she will be ready for us.

I don’t expect all rainbows and sun streaked days with our new daughter. She has suffered mightily in her little life. But I do trust that God has brought all of us together purposefully in His perfect timing and that as we turn to Him for guidance and support we will do more than get through; we will thrive and grow together as a new little family. I am so thrilled and honored that my Heavenly Father has entrusted this little one to us!

There have been so many little butterfly moments throughout our family building process that it's difficult to get them all committed to paper but this one I must share. It makes tears squeeze from my eyes each time I think on it. God is also working with the sweet hearted foster mom caring for my little girl. Knowing that her precious little temporary daughter will be now leaving for her forever family she has welcomed into her home and her heart another little daughter of our Heavenly King out of the institution!

What a chain of blessings when we listen and obey our Father’s calling! We answered the call to fall in love and bring our daughter home and another little child’s prayer for a home has been filled. This little child now has a home life visiting the markets and coloring, and playing with her foster mommy like my little one has been enjoying. God is great!

No comments: